For nine generations of worshipers, Saint Stephen’s United Methodist Church has been a fixture of the Marble Hill, Kingsbridge, Spuyten Duyvil and Riverdale sections of the Bronx.
This congregation came into existence in 1825 and was incorporated a decade later, making it one of the earliest religious institutions in the area. The group was known as the Moshulu Methodists.
The church was located at three different sites. The first site was on 251st Street and the Old Albany Post Road from 1835 until 1876. The foundation of the original church has a dwelling on it and is located at 5104 Old Albany Post Road. The second church was located on Broadway between 231st Street and Verveelen Place and served the community until the present structure was erected. The present house of worship is located at 228th Street and Marble Hill Avenue, which was opened in 1898.
The church has played host to the Kingsbridge Historical Society, which has met on many occasions at the church. There are several plaques in the immediate vicinity of the church that promote the history of the area’s involvement in the American Revolution.
One of its pastors was Reverend William Tieck, who served the church from 1946 to 1977. His tenure was the longest in the pastorate of the church.
Dr. Tieck was well known as the official Bronx County Historian, which he served from 1989 to 1996. Reverend Tieck authored several books on the Bronx, one of which is called Riverdale, Kingsbridge Spuyten Duyvil New York City, A Historical Epitome of the Northwest Bronx, published in 1968.
Dr. Tieck was honored April 2000 when Mayor Rudolph Giuliani signed Introductory Bill Number 617 into law. This law was initiated by local politicians to have Marble Hill Avenue between 228th and 230th Streets to have added signage saying “Reverend Dr. William A. Tieck Way.” This was to honor Dr. Tieck’s service to the area for more than half a century.
Saint Stephen’s United Methodist Church is located at 146 West 228th Street, Bronx, NY 10463. The church can be reached at 718-562-8692.