Audubon Terrace Museum Group

Audubon Terrace Museum Group

The Audubon Terrace Museum Group was the concept of scholar, art patron and philanthropist Archer M. Huntington. He was the son of Collis P. Huntington, owner of the Central Pacific Railroad and Newport News Shipbuilding and Drydock Companies. The younger

Fort George Amusement Park

Fort George Amusement Park

Overlooking the Harlem River there was an amusement park that Washington Heights and Inwood called its own. The Fort George Amusement Park was opened in 1895 and was located in what is now the northernmost end of Highbridge Park, between

Highbridge Park

Highbridge Park

Highbridge Park derives its name from New York City’s oldest standing bridge, the High Bridge (1848), which was built to carry the Old Croton Aqueduct over the Harlem River. From the 17th to the 19th centuries, the area was sparsely

Henry Hudson Memorial Bridge

Henry Hudson Memorial Bridge

The Hudson-Fulton Celebration was organized to commemorate two events in 1909. First was the Tri-Centennial of Henry Hudson’s voyage up the river that bears his name and the maiden voyage of the Claremont in 1807. Scientific American Magazine had published

Arrowhead Inn

One of the parks in Washington Heights that is little known for its enjoyment and view of the George Washington Bridge is bordered by Haven Avenue, Cabrini Boulevard, 177th Street and 178th Street. Many motorists pass it daily on the

Spuyten Duyvil Swing Bridge

Spuyten Duyvil Swing Bridge

The Spuyten Duyvil Swing Bridge tells an interesting story that intertwines the history of New York City with the Hudson River Valley. The New York & Hudson River Railroad was incorporated on May 6, 1847, to connect New York City

Marble Hill Playground

Marble Hill Playground

  Marble Hill holds the singular geographic distinction of having been a part of Manhattan, an island unto its own, and a part of the mainland. The neighborhood lies on a rock precipice in the Bronx that is bounded by

Saint Stephen’s Church

Saint Stephen’s Church

For nine generations of worshipers, Saint Stephen’s United Methodist Church has been a fixture of the Marble Hill, Kingsbridge, Spuyten Duyvil and Riverdale sections of the Bronx. This congregation came into existence in 1825 and was incorporated a decade later,

Fort Prince Charles

In the summer of 1776 the Continental troops were fortifying northern Manhattan and the Bronx for a siege from the Royalist Forces. A series of eight forts in the Bronx, and Fort Washington with its defensive works in Manhattan, were